Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Life Changes Quickly - Part 1

Over the last 5 weeks, many exciting events have occurred which I have meant to blog about. E completing a 100 mile ultra marathon and finishing my first year of working in the school system are just a few that the procrastinator in me has put off chronicling.  I hope to get to these soon, but first there is something else I am finally ready to blog about:

It is truly amazing how things can change in the blink of an eye.  What began as my first day of summer break ended with admittance to the hospital indefinitely.  The day started with a 2 hour wait at the Perinatologist's office. I was infuriated at the wait. I had things to do! My plans for the summer were to scour every consignment and craft store, coming up with unique and handcrafted pieces for the boys' nursery, and I wanted to get started ASAP! What were those doctors thinking, making a pregnant woman, with double the raging hormones, wait so long for an appointment?  However, I had my levelheaded husband, E, with me, so we waited, and I'm so glad we did...

I could tell something was wrong as soon as we started the ultrasound.  The friendly ultrasound technician was not her usual chatty self.  Instead of describing what she was seeing like she usually did, she took a deep breath and announced she had to speak with the doctor.  She told us that my cervix had shortened significantly in a very brief time period.  The doctor sent us to the hospital and half an hour later, at barely 25 weeks pregnant, I was admitted for preterm labor.

I need a few days to compose part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment